multiple network interfaces...and a ghost

after a system update and a new kernel I rebooted.

all seemed fine but the network would not connect...
Debian Mate, network install, it just works and I never have messed with the settings.
not a clue what was going on.

long story short, messing around a live USB did log in fine.

I decided to try a fresh netinstall alongside and Boom:

===
multiple network interfaces

eno1: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-LM
enp5s0: Intel Corporation 1210 Gigabit Network Connection
enx00e04c534458: Unknown Interface
===

the first two are old hat, I use eno1 and it just works.

bottom line I opened the Network Connections tool, found those three, none were selected.
I selected eno1 and all is good.

what about this mystery "Unknown"?
do I have a pending hardware failure?