Re: Does Debian supports backticks in the Makefile?

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 12:10 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 11:13:45PM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> > Hi, ALL,
> > [code]
> >   CXX      libpostgres_la-database_postgres.lo
> > ../../libpostgres/database_postgres.cpp:22:10: fatal error:
> > libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory
> >    22 | #include "libpq-fe.h"
>
> Ah, at last you show your C code, though indirectly.
>
> This is only going to work if the libpq-fe.h is in the directory
> you are compiling from.
>
> You are copy-pasting C code out of its context.
>
> Usually, you would write
>
>   #include <libpq-fe.h>

Doesn't make a difference.

> and make sure /usr/include/postgresql (that's the place where libpq-fe.h
> goes typically) is in the compiler's list of include paths to search
> for (i.e. the -I option).

Well it is as shown by the other output.

> Since you're using autotools, the latter is (hopefully) being taken care
> of by the snippet you quote:
>
> > libpostgres_la_CXXFLAGS = -D__WXGTK__ \
> >     -I../../dbinterface \
> >     `pg_config \
> >     --includedir`
> >

> So try the angle brackets <...> instead of the double quotes "..." in
> your include statement; that might help :)
>
> > How do people write a Makefikle to build on Debian?
> > It is successfully built on Gentoo and I'm trying to see how hard it
> > will be to build it on a different distro.
>
> I'm having a difficult time to believe that you are seeing what
> you think you are seeing (don't get me wrong: that happens to me
> all the time).
>
> This has nothing to do with "how Debian handles Makefiles". No distrib
> changes the way Autotools work.

I understand the Autotools behavior is not changing.
Yet, here I am trying to fix the inconsistencies in behavior. ;-)

And I'm actually doing cut-n-paste from the Terminal.

THank you.