Re: Debian 11: How to disable IPv6

Hi Charles,

On Sat, Jul 09, 2022 at 06:51:22PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> it is up to you to housebreak your applications to use IPv4 first.

If you find yourself having to do this, something is probably
broken. Broken things do exist, but it is really quite rare. What
you've written here makes it seem more like a given that everyone
will face problems. In reality most people don't even notice, which
is how it's designed to work.

Amazon, Facebook and Google all have IPv6 addresses for all their
various Internet properties. If there were any widespread issue with
software on v4-only networks getting v6 DNS answers then they would
not do this.

> I do it in part by using my own resolver, BIND9, and having it
> return only IPv4 addresses.

What application do you have where this is necessary? This is a bug
because when an application asks for DNS records for foo.example.com
it can get back all sorts of records besides 'A' (IPv4 address),
most of which have nothing to do with IPv6. So anything that
complains that it got an 'AAAA' record (IPv6 address) as well as an
'A' record is really very broken.

If we dig into this I think it's likely we'll find this is not
necessary and at worst a misconfiguration exists somewhere else.

DNS is designed to work on IPv4-only networks.

Cheers,
Andy