Re: UNetBootin on Debian 11

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 2:20 PM Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to locate UNetBootin for debian 11.4. I found one download PPA
>for Ubuntu Kinetic. Since UNetBootin is not in the repos is there an
>alternative application to make bootable media on Debian 11.

As Andy said, simply use "dd" or "cp" to copy the media to the raw
device. All our bootable amd64, i386 and arm64 media are so-called
"isohybrid" media and will work that way.

Please do yourself a favour and *don't* use unetbootin. We found it to
be a massive cause of trouble in the debian installer team. Lots of
our users were using it, and it was doing broken things to our
installation images that caused lots of bug reports. We *massively*
disrecommend its use.

Thanks for the info, I actually downloaded the binary for UNetBootin and got it to work. I know DD works fine but how can you set a persistent installation with it so you can update the live image install additional packages etc?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve@einval.com
"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/