Re: sleep(1) vs. sync(1) twice before umount(8)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2022, David Christensen wrote:

> On 7/10/22 09:57, fxkl47BF@protonmail.com wrote:

>>> again before unmounting a drive
>
>>> Any potential gotchas?
>>
>> I was never brave enough to poke that bear :)
>

> Have you ever experienced any problems or surprises with the technique?

No
I spent a couple of decades baby sitting a room full of HP K200s and K380s
Experimenting was not something done lightly, if you valued your job
You stick with what works
Typing sync twice was advised and I was not inclined to anger some unknown god
Using sleep between operations is as you say experimental
I wrote many scripts that ran as cron jobs at night
I was not concerned with speed
I've been retired for almost a decade and do not miss the sleepless nights