sleep(1) vs. sync(1) twice before umount(8)

On 7/10/22 05:55, fxkl47BF@protonmail.com wrote:
> I'm just flapping my gums
> As a systems administrator for UNIX systems I wrote more than a few scripts
> Many time I found it necessary to put a sleep between operations

+1

The hard part is deciding what the NUMBER argument should be.  :-/

> Several decades ago I was taught to type sync and then type sync again before unmounting a drive
> The only reason I ever got was that the second sync was a time delay

That is an interesting technique. I sometimes type sync(1) twice when I am distracted with several irons in the fire and/or when the system is making me worried, but it is not my standard practice.

Any potential gotchas?

David