Re: Debian 11: How to disable IPv6

On Sat, 9 Jul 2022, Charles Curley wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2022 06:44:46 +0200 (CEST)
local10 <local10@tutanota.com> wrote:

Jul 10, 2022, 00:51 by charlescurley@charlescurley.com:

 I do it in part by
using my own resolver, BIND9, and having it return only IPv4
addresses.

How did you do it? I tried to start named with "-4" option to use
only ipv4 but it refused to start with that option, IIRC.

Regards,

My /etc/default/named looks like:

#
# run resolvconf?
RESOLVCONF=no

# startup options for the server
OPTIONS="-4 -u bind"

That should do it.

But all that does is tell named to use IPv4. It will still return IPv6
addresses. So maybe I'm wrong about returning only IPv4 addresses.
Hmmm....

I was a bit surprised. I've never had to disable ipv6 where the only
public routes are ipv4. Do some people have a default route for ipv6
that doesn't work?

The default settings don't make it easy for radvd to publish anything
other than a /64 prefix and a default route.

I am using ipv6 but I think you need things like:

  AdvDefaultLifetime 0;
to stop radvd providing a default route and

echo 64 >/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/accept_ra_rt_info_max_plen
to allow other routes to be configured.

this can mess up your day if there is any risk of rogue RAs on the
network

Tim