Re: Stop XFCE saving the state?

On 7/5/22, Ash Joubert <ash@transient.nz> wrote:
> On 06/07/2022 10:53, John Conover wrote:
>> How to stop XFCE saving the state when logging out of Bullseye XFCE?
>
> Uncheck the box "Applications (XFCE X with mouse icon) / Setting /
> Session and Startup / Logout Settings / Automatically save session on
> logout". You can also adjust your session autostart programs.

There's also a place to toggle something on and off if you get a GUI
window when you click logout in the Applications menu. I'm using LXQt
right now so I logged out and went into XFCE4 to verify what I'd seen
in the past.

There's a checkbox and something very close to "Save session for
future logins" at the bottom of mine. I accidentally clicked it and
triggered it on a long time ago so I know it can be easily overlooked
when we're focused on things we've done a thousand times.

As a related aside since autostart programs were mentioned. This may
be something for people to research for slow logins. That makes this
thread a total win.

Things were popping up all over the place when I logged into XFCE4. It
doesn't do that in LXQt. I'd say XFCE4 is doing the right thing by
opening everything it finds in a recently altered autostart menu while
LXQt is instead just getting bogged down slowly cherry picking at
login. I've already seen it with something forgotten that wasn't being
found so I blocked it and things started working faster just with that
single change.

Seriously, this thread for the win! I'll bet you all help a lot of
people when we figure out why those two desktop environments are
having these two different reactions at startup. A dedicated partition
for each is a quick fix that many Users don't have the resources to
do.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *