Re: Unlocking (remote/local), was Re: Help with suid (bash)

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 11:07:09AM -0500, David Wright wrote:

[...]

> But after two posts about background information on setuid shell
> scripts, you now write "the worst antipattern is to misuse tech
> to force people to follow some nonsensical rituals". Strong words.

Sorry if I was unclear. The point I was trying to make is that
OpenSSH allows you to change the behaviour we are discussing
if you wish so. So it /doesn't/ follow that antipattern.

As to the other points? Well:

 0. if you want to be able to login directly as root, /and/
   with a password, change the server's /etc/sshd_config
 1. if you can be bothered to set up a key for root, use
   that (generally preferrable to 0.)
 1a. you can even limit what a private key owner is able to
   do: e.g. "only backup". So even if someone manages to
   steal your remote backup's private key, (s)he'll only
   able to trigger a backup
 2. if you don't like 0..1a, there's still sudo. You can
   fine-tune what commands (and what parameters go with
   those) each (local or remote) user is allowed to invoke,
   and even whether they're supposed to issue a password
   for that or they get it "password-less".

What's not to like? What's missing?

Cheers