Re: Unlocking (remote/local), was Re: Help with suid (bash)

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 10:08:20PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 10 May 2022 at 17:12:25 (-0600), Charles Curley wrote:

[...]

> IOW, though logging in to root by password is ok at the console,
> it's not ok when remote. ➀

I assume you know all that you can set "PermitRootLogin yes" in
your /etc/ssh/sshd_config (the default is "prohibit-password",
which fits the behaviour you are describing).

It's not recommended, (for good reasons!), but hey, it's your box,
and you decide what you deem to be "secure enough". After all,
security is context-dependent, and the worst antipattern is to
misuse tech to force people to follow some nonsensical rituals
(it happens far too often, alas, but OpenSSH isn't that sort of
software).

So you can change that, if you wish so. What's your point?

Cheers

[1] cf. man 5 sshd_config