Re: Help with suid (bash)

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 07:50:18AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Aside: even though this is not a Debian specific question, I often use debian-
> user as my first resource in asking Linux questions.

It's Linux-specific, though.

> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root <groupid_that_includes_my_userid> 1412 Aug 31  2014
> <bash_script_filename>

The Linux kernel does not honor the setuid bit on a script.  Any script.
Anything that's executed via a shebang, rather than an ELF header.

This is for security purposes, as there's some sort of race condition
or something.  I forget the exact details, but the point is, you can't
do this.  Find another solution.