Copying one drive to a smaller one.

Folks:

Situation: I have a 500G boot drive (root, swap, home) I'd like to copy
to a new 250G drive which must then also be bootable (yes, there's
enough room). This are EFI drives. I can use "dd", but I don't know
the proper parameters, and as I understand it, copying a 500G to a 250G
drive is Bad(tm). I could use "rsync", but I don't think the second
250G drive will boot just because I copied the files over to it. I
suspect I would have an additional step needed to make the drive
bootable.

Can someone outline the proper procedure here?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com