Re: Networking pb

On Sun, 08 May 2022 23:58:28 +0200
Hussein Yahia <h.yahia@orange.fr> wrote:

> I'm new to Linux, sorry if my question is naive.

Your question isn't naive. But we need a lot more information from you
in order to help you.

Some of it may be obtained by executing command line commands we
provide. Open a terminal, copy and paste the command into the terminal.
When you have the results, copy and paste from the terminal to your
reply email, and include the command line prompt and the one that
follows the command's output.

Also, be aware that SMB is a complicate mess of a protocol, and has
lots op options. For that reason, SMB clients and servers such as Samba
are not easy to configure.

> I just installed debian 11 on my computer. It's wire-connected to
> internet. I have another computer, a mac, which is connected through
> wifi.

I'm going to guess that this is a simple network, such as a home, with
just the two computers on it.

> I can connect from my mac to the Linux desktop.

What exactly do you mean by "connect"? SSH? ping? If you mean via SMB,
that suggests you successfully set the Linux computer up as an SMB
server. Did you?

> But I can't connect
> from the Linux to the mac: when I go in the "Network" directory, the
> mac does not appear. I installed smb on the Linux desktop.

When you go to what "Network" directory? How do you go to it? Is this
in the GUI or command line? What GUI are you using? XFCE? Gnome? KDE?

I'm going to guess that you have a file manger open, and it has a
"Network" option, and that when you select it, you are suppose to get a
list of local SMB servers. Unless you know that the Mac is also an SMB
server you should not expect to see it. If my earlier guess is correct,
and the Linux box is an SMB server, do you see the Linux box in that
window?

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com