Re: Networking book recommendation

On Tue, 3 May 2022 14:42:16 -0500
Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about to sign up for a fixed IPv4 address to my home. I know a bit
> about setting up simple internal networks, but want to make sure I'm
> doing it all correctly and securely. Does anyone have a good book they
> recommend for such use?

You said, "a fixed IPv4 address", which suggests you'll be doing
NATting (or whatever they call it this week) for your home network.

I use Æleen Frisch, Essential System Administration, 2nd ed.
https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/essential-system-administration/0596003439/
I see the current edition is 3rd, dated 2002. So possibly dated, but
the basics will be the same. No systemd, though.

You will want to get up to speed on firewalling, if you aren't already.
Allow your systems to connect to any external server. Don't allow any
external access to anything on your firewall or home network unless
it's for a service you provide to the outside world.

You will want to parcel out IP addresses and host names on your home
network, so DNS and DHCP. There are other programs to do those things,
but bind and dhcpd are classics, and talk to each other.

Wireless is nice, but a security nightmare.

And don't forget to do backups.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com