Re: how do i configure lynx browser as default browser for html

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 05:06:33AM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> i am trying to use debian with least
> packages. i dont have any desktop
> environment. i have installed base system
> + mc, default-jre, openbox, palemoon, lynx.

So you use openbox... and what, startx?  Or some Display Manager (DM)?
This matters, because the ~/.profile file will not be read if you login
with a DM.

Also, how are you launching your "default browser"?  Please be precise
and specific.  Does openbox have some sort of "browser button" that
launches a mystery browser?  Are you clicking underlined URLs in a
terminal emulator (if so, which one)?  Clicking links in a GUI mail user
agent (if so, which one)?  Something else?

The sad fact is that Linux does not *have* a single unified concept of
a "default web browser" the way some other operating systems might.
Each individual Desktop Environment or application therefore has its *own*
concept of "default browser" and its own way of launching it.

I also find it quite strange that you're inter-mixing GUI and terminal
web browsers (e.g. palemoon and lynx) and thinking that you can drop one
of them into a configuration slot that expects the other.  Trying to
launch lynx (for example) from a GUI environment without being inside
a terminal emulator is going to fail.

If you need to launch lynx from that kind of environment, you might need
to write a wrapper script that looks something like:

#!/bin/sh
exec xterm -e lynx "$@"

... and then choose that wrapper script as your GUI web browser, in
whatever configuration thing you're working with.