Re: how do i configure lynx browser as default browser for html

On Wed 28 Sep 2022 at 05:06:33 (+0000), jindam, vani wrote:
> > A line like:
> > export BROWSER=lynx
> > in /etc/profile may help.
>
> i have updated ~/.profile, but it is not working
>
> > You don't indicate your desktop, which may be significant.
> i am trying to use debian with least
> packages. i dont have any desktop
> environment. i have installed base system
> + mc, default-jre, openbox, palemoon, lynx.

So I think you mentioned userland.app or something.
Does that mean you're running all this on a mobile phone?
Its wikipedia says "UserLAnd does not require a root account."
That puts quite a new complexion on the thread here called
"how disable apt downloads w/o sudo".

It might be worth being a bit more revealing about the
system that you're running so that you don't waste other
people's time, and your own, with red herrings.

Next, openbox. A couple of clicks gets me to:

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Getting_started

which bears a link to:

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Autostart

(in §Using Openbox without a desktop environment (The
lightweight approach)).

Have you read that? Our guesses based on a standard Debian
configuration won't get you very far.

It also has a section called "Starting Openbox without
the graphical log in". Have you read that? You could
save a lot of back and forth by posting more detail,
and you'll get better advice before people give up
bothering with your problem.

So you run WPCleaner; I take it that is a graphical application.
Are you running lynx to check that its display of some wiki
conforms to expectations. Again, it might help to reveal this.

> my cli:
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls /etc/alternatives/*www*browser*
> /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
> /etc/alternatives/www-browser
> /etc/alternatives/www-browser.1.gz
> /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 jindam jindam 13 Sep 27 20:07 /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/lynx
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 jindam jindam 17 Sep 27 19:13 /etc/alternatives/gnome-www-browser -> /usr/bin/palemoon
> jindam@localhost:~$ ls -al $(which sensible-browser )
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 jindam jindam 1230 Jan 13  2021 /usr/bin/sensible-browser

Cheers,
David.