Re: idempotent (was Re: exif --remove not idempotent, and a Debian man page bug)

On 2022-09-25 at 08:22, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> Oops, ignore that previous response ...
>
> On second thought, what hede wrote is correct, it is just stated in a
> way that I wasn't famiiar with (and I haven't had my morning coffee
> yet)

Are you sure?

Because it doesn't seem to match my understanding of the meaning of the
word, and what you gave as an alternative seems closer.

If I had to describe the concept of idempotence, I might choose
something like:

Take object A.

Apply it as input to operation O, and get object B as output.

Take object B, apply it as input to operation O, and get object C as output.

If the nature of operation O is such that objects B and C are guaranteed
to always be identical, no matter what object A was, then operation O is
categorized as being idempotent.

That's not producing the same output with the same input (which is how I
read the explanation that hede gave); that's producing the same output
with both the original input *and* the output obtained by processing
that original input.

The definitions found in foldoc and in the Jargon File seem compatible
with that.

--
   The Wanderer