Re: feedback on install of bullseye

Ray Andrews wrote:
> To whom might read this.  I can't boil this down to a formal bug report but
> for what it's worth:
>

> BULLSEYE INSTALL, 2022-09-23:
>
> Decided to do a virgin install of bullseye to my /dev/sdb while keeping
> /dev/sda devoted to Stretch. Got the installer onto a USB stick, and
> proceeding normally. The 'normal' install (sorry, I forget the exact name)
> ... I get as far as partitioning and although the disk (sdb) is already
> partitioned and formatted and working fine, it seemed to be impossible to
> just leave things as they were and install to the existing partitions, it
> kept complaining that a necessary step was not completed. Erasing the
> partitions (overwrite with zeros) didn't help. I couldn't figure out how to
> make it work so backed up and selected 'use whole disk'.

You are lacking vital information to pass on to us here: what
necessary step was not completed?

> Proceeding, the installer couldn't establish a connection to the web.

What network hardware do you have? Wired or wireless?

> Trying again, I disconnected sda to keep it from getting mauled a second
> time and proceeded with the 'advanced' installer, again selecting 'use
> entire disk', this time the installer took the extra steps to get the
> network up and running and the install completed quite smoothly.
>
> Shouldn't the 'normal' install do whatever is needed to get the network
> running? the advanced install had no problem there, I didn't have to
> intervene it just got it done.

The normal installer is the advanced installer but it
pre-answers a lot of questions with the most common answers.

> Why would the installer trash the MBR on a disk that was not involved?
>
> Why couldn't I use existing, functioning ext4 partitions?

You can. Somewhere in the missing error messages are the clues.

-dsr-