feedback on install of bullseye

To whom might read this.  I can't boil this down to a formal bug report but for what it's worth:

BULLSEYE INSTALL, 2022-09-23:

Decided to do a virgin install of bullseye to my /dev/sdb while keeping /dev/sda devoted to Stretch. Got the installer onto a USB stick, and proceeding normally. The 'normal' install (sorry, I forget the exact name) ... I get as far as partitioning and although the disk (sdb) is already partitioned and formatted and working fine, it seemed to be impossible to just leave things as they were and install to the existing partitions, it kept complaining that a necessary step was not completed. Erasing the partitions (overwrite with zeros) didn't help. I couldn't figure out how to make it work so backed up and selected 'use whole disk'.

Proceeding, the installer couldn't establish a connection to the web. I aborted the install since I couldn't go forward anyway. Boot to sda and ... the installer had trashed the MBR of *both* disks and the machine was unbootable. I attached another backup disk, booted to that, mounted my Stretch partitions on sda, reran LILO, and that was fine, I could boot Stretch. But the installer also trashed the swap partition on sda -- I had to run mkswap. But no permanent damage was done.

Trying again, I disconnected sda to keep it from getting mauled a second time and proceeded with the 'advanced' installer, again selecting 'use entire disk', this time the installer took the extra steps to get the network up and running and the install completed quite smoothly.

Shouldn't the 'normal' install do whatever is needed to get the network running? the advanced install had no problem there, I didn't have to intervene it just got it done.

Why would the installer trash the MBR on a disk that was not involved?

Why couldn't I use existing, functioning ext4 partitions?

If one does have to abort, wouldn't it be better if no changes at all were made to anything? Why have a trashed system even when one had to abort? In other words, why not check that the network is available *before* trashing the MBR of both disks and the partition table of sdb and the swap partition of the other disk?

... just in case anyone is interested.