Re: Using a USB printer connected to one computer from another computer on a LAN

On 9/22/22 12:42, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
I recently installed a new to me Brother HL-2140 printer on one of the
computers on my LAN.  It has a USB interface.  I used the Brother installer to
install it on that computer, and, after a few false starts, seems to be
working fine.

I now want to try to also install the printer on another computer via the
network (Ethernet) if possible.  (Aside: In an earlier successful iteration, I
connected the printer to two of my computers using a USB hub and got the
printer to work from both of those computers.)

When I run the Brother installer, I eventually get to some text like this:

<quote>
Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
#
Will you specify the Device URI? [Y/n] ->y

0: hp
1: smb
2: https
3: http
4: ipps
5: ipp
6: socket
7: lpd
8: beh
9: hpfax
10 (I): Specify IP address.
11 (A): Auto. (usb://dev/usblp0)
</quote>

On my first attempt at doing an install to work over the Ethernet, I chose
option 10, and then specified my IP address (partially obfuscated below just
for kicks), but that did not work:

<quote>
select the number of destination Device URI. 10

  enter IP address ->192.168.n.n
lpadmin -p HL2140 -v socket://192.168.n.n -E
Test Print? [y/N] ->y

wait 5s.
lpr -P HL2140 /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
Hit Enter/Return key.
root@s19:/rhk/downloads2/printers/Brother_HL-2140/Brother#

</quote>

This did not work (the testprint was not printed).

Are any of the other options likely to work?  (I don't want to try them all to
find out).

To repeat, the printer is a USB printer, with the Brother driver installed on
one computer.  I am / was hoping that I could install the Brother driver on
another computer (on my LAN) using one of the network options (see the list of
11 choices shown above).

Thanks!
Get rid of the brother drivers on the client machines, and get rid of cups-browsed. Check the share box using a browser to localhost:631, and cups should be all you
need on the clients.

The machine its plugged into is the server. And it does have the brother drivers installed.

I have a newer version of that printer plugged into this machine, and I can send what I want to print from any of 3 more old Dells, an rpi4b, and 2 rock64s on my
local network.

HTH, take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)