Re: Using a USB printer connected to one computer from another computer on a LAN

On 2022-09-22, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:

> To repeat, the printer is a USB printer, with the Brother driver installed on
> one computer.  I am / was hoping that I could install the Brother driver on
> another computer (on my LAN) using one of the network options (see the list of
> 11 choices shown above).

I have a Brother HL-2030 that I share over my LAN. It's connected to my
linux machine by USB. In the CUPS web interface
http://localhost:631/admin, I checked 'Share printers connected to this
system'.

On the windows machine

 Add a printer (not listed)
 Selected shared printer by name
 Location

 http://192.168.0.26:631/printers/HL-2030-series

192.168.0.26 is the Linux machine's IP on the LAN.  It helps immensely if it remains
invariable. HL-2030-series is the name of the printer. lpstat -v should
list the name(s) of your printer(s).

I don't believe I did anything else to get it to work.