Re: Ubiquity 500G NVR

On Tue, 2022-09-20 at 09:59 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> David wrote:
> > Good Afternoon,
> >
> > I wonder if any body has any experience with The Ubiquity 500G NVR,
> > I'm
> > trying to re-build one for myself and failing.
> >
> > It's based on Debian 7, which is my first problem, installing
> > Debian 7
> > is not a problem, getting /etc/apt/sources.list correct is a
> > problem.
> >
> > Then the instructions say to add the MongoDB and Ubiquiti repos to
> > /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > The two lines to be added are:-
> >
> > deb http://downloads-distro.mongodb.org/repo/debian-sysvinit dist
> > 10gen
> > deb http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/unifi/debian stable ubiquiti
> >
> > They both seem to be out of date, can you help me with the working
> > lines?
>
> The first problem with Ubiquiti is that they ship a
> frankenDebian.
>
> The second problem with Ubiquiti is that they have routinely
> (and may still be) violated the GPL.
>
> The third problem is that they don't support their old systems.
>
> MongoDB's debian repo only supports Buster and Stretch; they
> don't have a 7 or 11 repo.
>
> I would say you are probably out of luck here.
>
> -dsr-

Morning Dan,

Thank you for the reply.

Some of your reasons against Ubiquity is why I don't use Ubiquity
equipment commercially.

As I personally have many Ubiquity cameras I need a solution to be able
to monitor them, I'll try Debian 8 and see how that works with the
Ubiquity software.

I've tried looking for a new NVR that supports Ubiquity cameras without
success. If Debian 8 does not work for me I'll have to look at
replacing the cameras.

David.