Re: Setting system/ rtc clock

On Mon, 19 Sept 2022 at 13:14, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 19 Sep 2022 at 13:05:34 (+1000), David wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Sept 2022 at 06:47, Richard Schires <rschires@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I've been searching for an answer and keep going in a circle.
> >
> > Are there any other operating systems or virtual machines active
> > on this machine? That can get tricky.
> >
> > If there is only one, then it sounds like your timezone isn't
> > matching your expectations.
> >
> > The easiest method is to configure hardware clock as UTC
> > and specify your timezone, because that avoids messing
> > around with the hardware clock every time that daylight saving
> > changes localtime changes, and avoids invalid/duplicate
> > timestamps.
> >
> > The docs I would read to guide investigating this are
> >   'man 8 hwclock'
> > and
> >   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_time
> >
> > I would start by reading
> >   https://wiki.debian.org/DateTime
> > but you might need more detail than it provides.
>
> The OP's timezone is correct, -0500 currently, as provided by
> America/Chicago. The disagreement is on whether the RTC is
> running UTC or LOCAL. Currently, it's set to UTC. The critical
> lines are:

> So it comes down to persuading the OP that the CMOS time being
> "way off", ie five hours ahead, is in fact sensible, correct,
> and easier to live with. (The OP has not mentioned any other
> OS as being installed, but that's not a showstopper either.)

Agree 100%. That's what my paragraph "The
easiest method .." was suggesting, and the remainder of my
message was links, because they said they had been
searching without success, so I offered what I would use
as reference docs.

If I had written "understanding" instead of "investigating"
in the next para then that might have been clearer.

Cheers.