Re: Setting system/ rtc clock

On Mon 19 Sep 2022 at 13:05:34 (+1000), David wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sept 2022 at 06:47, Richard Schires <rschires@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been searching for an answer and keep going in a circle.
>
> Are there any other operating systems or virtual machines active
> on this machine? That can get tricky.
>
> If there is only one, then it sounds like your timezone isn't
> matching your expectations.
>
> The easiest method is to configure hardware clock as UTC
> and specify your timezone, because that avoids messing
> around with the hardware clock every time that daylight saving
> changes localtime changes, and avoids invalid/duplicate
> timestamps.
>
> The docs I would read to guide investigating this are
>   'man 8 hwclock'
> and
>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System_time
>
> I would start by reading
>   https://wiki.debian.org/DateTime
> but you might need more detail than it provides.

The OP's timezone is correct, -0500 currently, as provided by
America/Chicago. The disagreement is on whether the RTC is
running UTC or LOCAL. Currently, it's set to UTC. The critical
lines are:

> > > I can get the system clock set through the date command;
> > > sudo date -s "D M Y H:M:S"
> > > Problem is that resets the CMOS time way off.

So it comes down to persuading the OP that the CMOS time being
"way off", ie five hours ahead, is in fact sensible, correct,
and easier to live with. (The OP has not mentioned any other
OS as being installed, but that's not a showstopper either.)

Cheers,
David.