Re: no JAVA_HOME in the path

23.08.22, 15:49 +0200, Amn:

Thank you for your prompt response.
Adding Java to the $PATH variable requires me to know the location where
Java was installed, which I don't know. Is there a way to find out where
Java was installed?

As Tomas wrote, the more interesting question than *how* to set JAVA_HOME, is *why* you want to set it in the first place.

That said, on Linux package managers often install JVMs in a subdirectory of /usr/lib/jvm. To find out what the java binary in your PATH thinks about where it's home is, you can do, for example

java -XshowSettings:properties -version 2>&1 > /dev/null | grep 'java.home'

On debian

update-alternatives --display java

should show you the Java installations the system knows about.

And, of course, a tool like dpkg could be used to show which files are installed by the package manager...

--
Regards
  mks