at wits end

printers will be the end of me yet...

bullseye, up to date as of an hour ago.

I have 2 printers here; both Brothers, one is a newer Hll2320D
a black & white laser, does duplex flawlessly.

And an older brother MFC-J6920DW which has two paper src trays.
This is a BIG MFC ink jet, capable of printing and scanning of tabloid paper. cups can make it do whatever I want, including test pages on duplex paper in tray 2,
the bottom tray.

Trying to rebuild a 3d printer, I need to print data from some of those web sites.

But I cannot, something in the browser (FF) or "system" is over riding the tray choice and demanding it can only use tray 1, which I've emptied since tray one is normally loaded with dollar a sheet foto paper. The system dialog did at one time access the drivers ppd's to obtain its capabilities, but that has ceased, reported by the system
dialog as "not available".

ipp everywhere does NOT work, _never_ has for this printer and this has been true, but cups-browsed overrides any attempt to use the drivers brother supplies. They are excellent drivers so it was removed back in the spring, but now its single mindedness has returned and it has NOT been reinstalled. But tray 2 is not accessible from any print dialog now.

How can "I" regain control?

How can I invoke a debug trace that might show where this is being filtered out?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis