Re: openssh server

On 2022-08-22 at 08:42 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 12:33:42PM +0200, Radwan Daoud wrote:
> >    I want to install an old version of openssh server on my Debian 11.
> >    I want to install Debian 9 ssh version on Debian 11 ,  is that possible:
> >    [1]https://packages.debian.org/stretch/openssh-server
> >    Please don't ask me , I want to do that
> >    Thanks
>
> Installing that older version of openssh directly on Debian 11 is likely
> to come with some issues related to dependecies.  I would recommend that
> you create a chroot, docker container, or some other separate
> environment with Debian 9 and install the openssh-server packages there,
> where you will be certain to get all the dependencies automatically and
> without the possibility of disturbing other packages and their
> dependencies (which can happen when mixing packages from different
> Debian releases).
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

The problem of installing openssh-server into a chroot/container/VM is
that when connecting to the system, he would end up into that
container. He may be able to install in a chroot but allow himself to
exit into the main system once connected, but it's not elegant.

I think a better solution in this case would be to recompile the
openssh-server source package from stretch in bullseye. It will
probably compile cleanly, and should avoid most dependency problems
that could arise if he instead used the binary package.

Nonetheless, I know that the OP said
> Please don't ask me , I want to do that

but I'm pretty sure this is a XY Problem <https://xyproblem.info/>,
and the actual issue is probably that be OP is no longer able to
connect from certain client, but thinks it worked in stretch, so
decided to install an old version of openssh-server.

Whereas the right solution is probably to either:
a) Install an updated ssh client
b) Change a few lines on sshd_config so that the newer openssh-server
in bullseye still allows that outdated client to connect.

Regards