Re: Windows on VMware on Deb 11: safely usable?

On 8/22/22 08:41, Tom Browder wrote:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 21:39 stepore@gmail.com <stepore@gmail.com> wrote:
On 8/17/22 19:35, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Tom Browder [2022-08-17 05:53:05] wrote:
>> I would love to run Windows on a VM on Debian iff I can have it be reliable
>> enough to use with reasonable response (no games, just Office 360, IO
>> Drive, H&R Block, and such). I haven't kept up with the VM world but a
>> quick search shows VMware might be a good choice.
>
> Last I had to run a Windows VM I used kvm (aka Qemu) and that worked
> very nicely.  It's easy to install (it's in the Debian repositories),
> very featureful, and used for "real systems" (tho in my case I always
> used it very punctually to run some specific tool only available in
> Windows).

Yep; same. Ran multiple windows vms in kvm (libvirt/qemu). Stable and solid.

So I will try Debian 11's packages "qemu-kvm" and "aqemu" and install Windows 10" as a test on my current main host, but only if I can remove all if I need to and if it will not interfere with my smooth running setup. Is that true?

Note if I proceed and need help, I will start a new thread.

-Tom

Why not try virt-manager package.  At least it is updated recently.  See:https://virt-manager.org/ for details.  It even runs VMs on remote machines over ssh ... a function I've used before.

When you run a VM it displays it in a window with full graphics and mouse support.  I have 20 or so VMs ... even several Windows 10 ... to try updates for Debian testing before I commit them to my main host machine.  You can easily set the number of CPUs, memory, disk space, graphics, network and more for the VM.  You can pass USB devices to the VM all through virt-manager.

I have run a weather station in a Debian VM for over 8 years with little problem.

I am running a 10+ year old AMD 6 core CPU with 24GB memory.  Windows 10 seems to run fine with 5GB of memory.

--

...Bob