Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2022 #680

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022, 2:36 pm , <debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org> wrote:

debian-user-digest Digest                               Volume 2022 : Issue 680

Today's Topics:
  Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored  [ Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontre ]
  Re: must i consider zfs or lvm for s  [ Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontre ]
  Re: must i consider zfs or lvm for s  [ <tomas@tuxteam.de> ]
  Comments on upgrade steps from one v  [ John Boxall <jboxall47@gmail.com> ]
  Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored  [ Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape ]
  Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored  [ Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontre ]
  Re: Comments on upgrade steps from o  [ Charles Curley <charlescurley@charl ]
  Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored  [ Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape ]
  Re: must i consider zfs or lvm for s  [ David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerd ]
  Re: Comments on upgrade steps from o  [ Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuckz@netscape ]
  Re: Comments on upgrade steps from o  [ John Boxall <jboxall47@gmail.com> ]
  Re: Comments on upgrade steps from o  [ John Boxall <jboxall47@gmail.com> ]
  nfs-kernel-server                     [ Wylie <wylieq@twqua.com> ]
  Re: nfs-kernel-server                 [ Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> ]
  Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored  [ <tomas@tuxteam.de> ]
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:06:33 -0400
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Why are some Debian bugs ignored for a long time?

> So that means "free" software written and maintained by volunteers will never be as
> stable and secure as software that is written by people who are paid by the hour.

Not necessarily.  Have you filed a bug report about a problem you
perceived in macOS, Windows, other your usual shrink wrapped software?
Has it always been fixed promptly?

If you want your bugs to be fixed, you generally need resort to some
kind of support contract, which you can get for Free Software just as
easily as for proprietary software (probably more easily, actually).

Notice also that the goal of Free Software is not to be technically
better (you may be confusing it for Open Source software), but
ethically better.

I suspect most maintainers who don't respond promptly to bug reports
aren't happy about that fact: its demoralizing to be in charge of
something you can't devote the resources it really deserves.

But note that *you* can help, by taking on some of the work, looking for
bugs that haven't gotten an answer yet and trying to address them.
I don't think anyone can do that for any random bug, but I'm pretty sure
most people on this list would be able to do that for at least one of
the pending bug reports.

        Stefan