Re: headless server with console on USB port

	Hi.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 04:48:34PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> I am wondering if ready-made usb-to-usb solutions exist, which contain the
> conversion to serial and back to usb internally....

I cannot call it "ready-made", but there's something similar - [1] which
may solve your problems.
It does not deal with serial per se, but achieves much more.
Some assembly is required though.

> or if there are a serial
> crossover cable and two usb-to-serial adapters in some boxes in our cellar :-)

That will work, I have similar setup back in the day.
The main problems of such setup are:

- overcomplicated setup of GRUB's USB stack.

I.e. forget about seeing GRUB's menu.

- unless you're using self-built Linux kernel - forget about seeing
  those boot messages.

Because to convince the kernel to use that "console=ttyUSB0" argument
you'll need to load an appropriate kernel module first.
Such setup is good for saving you from the descent to the cellar in the
case of occasional network misconfiguration, but that's about only
problem it's good for.

Hardware platforms with built-in UART are easier in this regard, but -
it's very rare to have UART on a consumer-grade x86 motherboard.

[1] https://github.com/Fmstrat/diy-ipmi

Reco