Re: How could "they" get into your BIOS? ...

On Sat 13 Aug 2022 at 16:09:13 (-0500), Albretch Mueller wrote:
> On 8/12/22, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > I typed the text at
> > the top of the screen in your first image, and got plenty of
> > suggestions from Dell, reddit, and some Scottish Uni gamers.
>
>  Basically, what I distilled out of many of those posts is that you
> should disable "Secure Boot", but I had already disabled it.

These are the sorts of things I've read but can't evaluate:

  Turn on or restart your computer.
  Press F2 to enter System Setup. …
  In the left pane, expand SupportAssist System Resolution,
  and then select SupportAssist OS Recovery.
  In the right pane, select or clear the SupportAssist OS Recovery
  check box to enable or disable the automatic start of
  SupportAssist OS Recovery.

On Sat 13 Aug 2022 at 11:57:21 (-0500), Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  The wireless card I removed day 1 I got that laptop since this is my
> work computer. All of that started happening afterwards. I am curious
> to know why would DL care about a wireless card in a temperamental
> way?

The way I read your OP, you haven't reached any involvement with
Debian Live yet. I assumed you were at some sort of POST, or
post-POST stage, though my Dells are probably much older than
yours, and lack anything like SupportAssist.

My old Dell laptop (BIOS) would perform some sort of POST scan.
Any change to BIOS settings would make this scan much more thorough.
It obviously remembered whether the previous scan was successful,
because just turning off the power during a quick scan would force
it into making a long, tedious one next time.

Cheers,
David.