Re: Verison IPv6 -- I want to stick with IPv4 (was Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?)

On Aug 10, 2022, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 04:12:11 AM Curt wrote:
> > I never realized that local addresses were fundamentally identical in all
> > local networks because there weren't enough addresses in the first
> > place, and that NAT was essentially designed to palliate this shortage.
>
> Yes, aiui, NAT was designed because of the address shortage, but ...
>
> > I thought the latter was some sort of security measure.
>
> at least in early versions of NAT (more below) it also provided some level of
> security as it was designed to only forward incoming connections (to computers
> in a LAN) from "known" external computers.
>
> I.e., if a computer on the LAN contacted a computer outside the LAN, NAT would
> allow incoming data from that external computer, but not allow incoming data
> from other external computers.

That isn't (nor ever was) a "feature" of NAT, rather the firewall.

If there's a matching DNAT rule, the packet is destined for a PC using
an RFC1918 address; update the IP Address and check the resulting packet
against the FORWARD chain.

If there's not a matching DNAT rule, the packet is destined for the
machine acting as gateway; check the packet against the INPUT chain.

--
|_|O|_|