Re: apt-get -qq install

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022, Victor Sudakov wrote:

David Wright wrote:
On Tue 02 Aug 2022 at 18:27:22 (+0000), Victor Sudakov wrote:
I'm trying to quiet apt's output by using `apt-get -qqy` in a CI/CD
pipeline, however I still see ugly stuff like this in my CI/CD log:

Selecting previously unselected package php-common.
(Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%
[ ? ]

and this:

Scanning processes... [                                                        ]
Scanning processes... [=                                                       ]
[ ? ]

Don't you think the `-qq` modifier should spare me these things?

I don't actually like the idea of redirecting apt-get's output to
/dev/null because I want to see the list of packages installed, but without
these pseudographics. Do you think it's possible? Any ideas?

The packages installed and the terminal output are logged in
/var/log/apt/{history,term}.log respectively (which I never rotate).

Which will be lost in a CI/CD environment because the VM image is ephemeral.

BTW I've tried setting `sudo DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -qqy --no-install-recommends install ...` and
`sudo apt-get -qqy -o Dpkg::Use-Pty=0 ...` to no avail, the rubbish is still there.

something strange - I see this in my console log:

$ less essential-phase1-sid-i386.log
/bin/sh: 0: can't access tty; job control turned off
# # # Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid InRelease [192 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main Sources [9857 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main i386 Packages [9185 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main Translation-en [6861 kB]
Fetched 26.1 MB in 20s (1311 kB/s)
Reading package lists...
# # Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Calculating upgrade...
  apt base-files libc-bin util-linux
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3690 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main i386 base-files i386 12.2 [70.1 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main i386 util-linux i386 2.38-6 [1258 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main i386 apt i386 2.5.2 [1522 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main i386 libc-bin i386 2.33-8 [840 kB]
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Fetched 3690 kB in 2s (1981 kB/s)
E: Can not write log (Is /dev/pts mounted?) - posix_openpt (2: No such file or directory)
(Reading database ... 6645 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../base-files_12.2_i386.deb ...
Unpacking base-files (12.2) over (12.2~tjw) ...
Setting up base-files (12.2) ...
(Reading database ... 6645 files and directories currently installed.)

Which is coming from:
    chroot ${workdir} <<CHEOF
      set -eu
      export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
      apt-get update
      echo "man-db man-db/auto-update boolean false" | debconf-set-selections
      apt-get -o APT::Install-Recommends=false -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" -y upgrade </dev/null