Re: VFAT vs. umask.

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 05:07:06PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:

[...]

> 8 x 10^9 bytes / 1.6 x 10^7 sectors
>   ~= 8/16 x 10^3 bytes/sector
>   ~= 512 bytes/sector.
> A familiar old number.
>
> Gparted also shows 4.00 MiB unallocated bytes at the front of the
> device.

This is gparted's default.

> If gparted simply does "Partition > Format to > ext2", is there any
> chance it will change alignment or block size?

AFAIU, the only critical parameter for a partitioner is the alignment,
anyway. I have no man page for gparted, but parted does have an
option for that.

The block size is something you tell your file system. Mkfs.ext4 has
that.

AFAIK there is no "protocol" for the media to tell your OS about its
preferred block size, and (USB/MMC) flash storage cheats anyway (the
reality is just much more horrible and complex: blocks are huge [1],
and you can partially overwrite them but only delete them in bulk,
yadda, yadda, so you've a processor-cum-firmware in that lowly stick
with its own (not always good) ideas).

Cheers

[1] Trusty Wikipedia has 16..512 KiB, but I guess this keeps
   growing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory