Re: VFAT vs. umask.

On Sun 31 Jul 2022 at 07:51:22 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> From: Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 21:37:37 +0200
> > Formatting it to ext2 should work and not cause any issues ...
>
> Other authorities claim "factory format" is optimal and wear of flash
> storage is a concern. A revised "format" can impose worse conditions
> for wear?  Does any manufacturer publish about this?  What is hope?
> What is truth?
>
> > Modern backup tools use their own archive/data formats ...
>
> All that's needed here is a reliable copy on the HDD, of the files on
> the SD.  If the SD fails I mount the part of the HDD, restore to
> another SD and continue working.  Rsync is the most effective tool
> I've found.  More advanced archiving is not needed.

The issue that brought you here is permissions, in which case:
reformat the card to an ext format and you can forget about that.

So "primary store" probably means Master Copy of Your Data. And you
copy it off the SD onto a hard drive to work on it, then put it
back (hopefully with care, not overwriting, and thorough flushing¹).

Speed is not an overriding issue, in the sense that the computer
will wait, whereas a movie camera, say, cannot. And you're not
doing random access on myriads of small files, but just sequential
copying of your data files.

Wear is not an overriding issue, as I assume you do a reasonable
amount of work on the hard drive data before you store the outcome
back onto the SD card. And when the card fails², you have a backup
already, almost by definition.

¹ just copying to a new file, then renaming, might not be a
  guarantee that the physical data is written on the card.

² They're cheap; I'd use two anyway. That covers the case where
  the SD fails in the motel at night, and the computer you used
  yesterday is by now fifty miles away.

Cheers,
David.