Re: VFAT vs. umask.

    From: Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de>
    Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 21:37:37 +0200
> Formatting it to ext2 should work and not cause any issues ...

Other authorities claim "factory format" is optimal and wear of flash
storage is a concern. A revised "format" can impose worse conditions
for wear?  Does any manufacturer publish about this?  What is hope?
What is truth?

> Modern backup tools use their own archive/data formats ...

All that's needed here is a reliable copy on the HDD, of the files on
the SD.  If the SD fails I mount the part of the HDD, restore to
another SD and continue working.  Rsync is the most effective tool
I've found.  More advanced archiving is not needed.

Thanks,                               ... P.

mobile: +1 778 951 5147
VoIP: +1 604 670 0140
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:PeterEasthope