Lost internet access after "# apt update"

I came home after being away for over a week, logged in to my home server (Debian 11 on a laptop) remotely through a terminix app on my iPad, checked for updates, accepted all and started the update. (I stupidly did not use an open terminal on the laptop screen and watch as I normally do.)

Note I had just updated and upgraded three Deb 11 servers in the cloud and was lulled into thinking my home laptop should update just as flawlessly. But I was sorely mistaken! Now, while on the laptop, I can see that I appear to be connected to my LAN, but I cannot access the internet. Other devices (two iPhones, two iPads, and a Windows box) can access the network and the internet. From my router I can see the laptop is connected to it.

I suspect a firewall problem but I'm too ignorant to prove it. (See a previous problem I had with a new Digital Ocean (DO) server that was being blocked by DO from ports 80 and 443.)  I checked: UFW is installed but not active, firewalld is installed, and /etc/alternatives/iptables is a link to iptables-legacy.

Other data points: (1) When I do a login, it takes *four* minutes for the system to get where my default desktop has two open terminal windows. (2)  I have searched kern and user logs but haven't seen any clues meaningful to me.

Ideas are very welcome.

Thanks.

-Tom