Re: SSD Optimization and tweaks - Looking for tips/recomendations

On 28.06.2022 22:25, Marcelo Laia wrote:
Hi,

I bought a SSD solid disk and will perform a fresh install on it. Debian testing. I've never used such a disc.

I bought a Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (1TB 3D NAND Crucial SATA MX500 Internal SSD (with 9.5mm adapter) — 6.35cm (2.5in) and 7mm).

I read the recommendations on the https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization page.

However, I still have some doubts:

1. Use ext4 or LVM partitioning?
One is a filesystem and the other is a partition technology, a completely different thing. My recommendation is to use whatever you are comfortable and experienced with. Unless of course you feel adventurous and want to learn new things and use extra features. More about that below.

2. I read in the Warnming section that some discs contain bugs, including Crucial. But I don't know if I need to use or not use "discard" on this disk (CT1000MX500SSD1). If I need to proceed with use "discard", would you please have any tips on how to do it? I didn't understand how to do this.
Most of those warnings are outdated and nowadays all major SSD manufacturers have developed stable firmware for their products. Personally, I don't use "discard" mount option, instead I manually run "fstrim" utility once a few months. But, my SSD serves me as a system disk and that is not a write-intensive workload.

3. Should I reserve a swap partition or not? I always had one on hdd disks. I was in doubt, too.
Yes, you should. The difference in performance will be noticeable, whenever your system would resort to swap usage.

4. Any other recommendations to improve the performance and lifespan of this disk?
A performance improvement is a complex task and in some cases could be impossible due to hardware limits of the host or the SSD device itself. On modern system with SATA3 interface, there is not much you can do to increase a performance of SSD, other than optimizing your workloads and maybe choosing among different flash-optimized filesystems. I'd recommend to check out a somewhat recent Phoronix article¹ about filesystem benchmarks. And then again it depends on your workload if these optimizations even worth doing and the time spent learning a new techs.

So the bottom line is, if your workload is low, then you should stop worrying and simply enjoy your new SSD. It will last for many years and probably will be moved to a newly build PC to serve as an additional storage device there.

Thank you!

¹ : https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-58-filesystems&num=1

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.