Re: SSD Optimization and tweaks - Looking for tips/recomendations

Marcelo Laia writes:

Hi,

I bought a SSD solid disk and will perform a fresh install on it. Debian testing. I've never used such a disc.

I bought a Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (1TB 3D NAND Crucial SATA MX500 Internal SSD (with 9.5mm adapter) — 6.35cm (2.5in) and 7mm).

I read the recommendations on the https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization page.

However, I still have some doubts:

1. Use ext4 or LVM partitioning?

You could do both at once, too. See the other users' answers.

2. I read in the Warnming section that some discs contain bugs, including Crucial. But I don't know if I need to use or not use "discard" on this disk (CT1000MX500SSD1). If I need to proceed with use "discard", would you please have any tips on how to do it? I didn't understand how to do this.

IIRC the best practice was to not use the "discard" mount option and rather run "fstrim" at regular intervals. You could use the `fstrim.timer` systemd unit from package util-linux for that purpose.

3. Should I reserve a swap partition or not? I always had one on hdd disks. I was in doubt, too.

If you want to have a swap partition, it is perfectly OK to create one on an SSD. In fact, I have sometimes used SSD swap to my advantage. Today its mostly a matter of personal preference.

4. Any other recommendations to improve the performance and lifespan of this disk?

The wiki page is already pretty comprehensive. On my systems I mostly do the “Reduction of SSD write frequency via RAMDISK” thing.

As with all disks, it can help to setup S.M.A.R.T. monitoring. For SSDs, a metric like “liftime GiB written” or something similar is often included. This can be used to reveal if your system is doing a lot of writes or not by checking the changes of the value over time (e.g. with help from `smartd` from package smartmontools).

HTH and YMMV
Linux-Fan

öö