Re: Customizing firefox-esr.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 12:13:09PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 05:40:31PM +0200, local10 wrote:
> > Jun 28, 2022, 13:28 by peter@easthope.ca:
> >
> > > (2) Is there a simple configuration so that the "Find in page" bar is
> > > always present at the bottom of the window?  Present when firefox
> > > opens and remaining present until quiting.
> >
> > Go to about:config and try setting "browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll=false"
>
> There is no such option in Firefox ESR 91.10.0esr-1~deb11u1.
>
> If I google for this option string, the first result I get is
> entitled "browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll=false has no effect since 75b1"
> and the second, "How to disable "single click selects all" in new QuantumBar?"
>
> It's gone, because Firefox developers are not Linux users, and they
> don't care about us.

<RANT>
Windows applications programmers don't care about their users
anyway. Users are cattle.

Currently I've the dubious pleasure of using a Windows box for
my job. Each application actually does its thing.

One example: you have to click on windows for them to get your
attention (click to focus it's called, I think). Now: does this
click trigger an action -- or does it "just" move the focus to
that window? It turns out that each application has its own
convention. You gotta find out, you gotta memorise it.

Now those things are starting to manage their own top level
window decorations: if one application just doesn't want to
have a close button, it just won't have it (the same, BTW, which
is promised to us with this mythical Wayland thing: I know I
won't have it).

On my box, I want to be the boss. Not some random, badly written
application. Less these days, where every web site and its aunt
think they are applications, too. Wait until /they/ start managing
your browser's top level decorations.

If some applications developer thinks (s)he's smarter than me,
all is well. Quite possible. But if (s)he thinks her application
is smarter than me... well. That's an insult I take personally.

Thanks, but no thanks
</RANT>

Phew. Feels better now :-)