Re: Is there an easy way to get the latest version number of a source package that is available?

On 6/27/22, Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 03:31:01PM +0100, Tim Woodall wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> apt-get --only-source --download-only source <package>
>>
>> will download the latest version of the source package.
>>
>> Is there a one liner that will give me the version of the package
>> (including the epoch) without downloading the package and parsing the
>> dsc?
>>
> If you are not opposed to installing the devscripts package, then you
> can do this:
>
> $ rmadison -u debian -a source -s unstable firefox-esr
> firefox-esr | 91.10.0esr-1  | unstable   | source

DISCLAIMER: I do understand this is about the source packages. I've
never thought about whether or not they ever differentiate from our
debs. Having just run "apt-cache policy", I do see the difference that
can arise.

My search into this went off into a tangent that ended up at..

/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/apt-cache

That has a line that includes:

if [[ ${words[ispecial]} ==
@(add|depends|dotty|madison|policy|rdepends|show?(pkg|src|)) ]]; then

So next I hit up "man apt-cache" to see if man showed how to choose
src over pkg. I didn't get there because "apt-cache showsrc" popped up
first. Ran it to see its output then ended up with...

$ apt-cache showsrc firefox-esr|grep Vers
Version: 91.10.0esr-1
Standards-Version: 3.9.8.0

For the package policy based on last time a system ran "apt-get
update", it could be:

$ apt-cache policy firefox-esr|grep C
  Candidate: 91.10.0esr-1

Those just happened to match. My original sample was einstein. Version
and Candidate outputs are different for him. At this second, they are
Version 2.0.dfsg.2-10 versus Candidate 2.0.dfsg.2-10+b1.

That just shows it is capable of plucking out the difference in those.
I usually miss something obvious that negates anything I typed so my
apologies in advance if and when I did here. :)

Hope that helps somehow. Maybe the output from showsrc might be fun to
look at for distraction or something....

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *