Re: haproxy service retry

Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> I have noticed a problem with haproxy on an edge router after a power
> outage.
>
> The service is configured to start automatically, but usually it takes a bit
> of time for the internet connection to be established and an IP assigned to
> the WAN interface.
>
> haproxy seems to keep trying for 5 times, but then stops when it still
> hasn't got a properly configured interface to bind with.
>
> I'm interested in strategies or configuration options to get it to keep
> retrying, perhaps at an extended interval?
>
> My WAN interface is configured using systemd-networkd (as is my LAN
> interface)

Your start requirement is not "the network is up" but "we can
talk to the Internet".

What's a good proof of that? Perhaps it is being able to contact
something that is so reliable, you expect it always to be
available.

If I were doing this casually, I might decide that one of the
DNS services run by a massively-distributed BGP anycast should
be up all the time, and that getting a good result from 3
consecutive pings is enough to establish that.

The first time I got that after starting, I would call that a
success and start haproxy. If I didn't get that, I would loop
back to pinging three times, not starting haproxy.

Implementation is up to you -- I know how to do this with
sysvinit or daemontools, but not systemd.

-dsr-