Re: digikam import fails

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 08:05:16AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/17/22 01:02, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 08:39:19PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > [...]

The point about being poitve and constructive rather than snarky is a more
general one.

> > Cheers
> I agree 100%. This whole nightmare was started by the installer silently
> installing brltty and orca, assuming I was blind just because it found a
> plugged in fdti usb<->serial adapter, and by the time I had killed the
> noise, the log was still being spammed about 30 lines per keystroke and
> the system uptime was in hours. And the reboot was locked up by not finding
> brltty, so that was about the first 25 re-installs. It was the only way
> to reboot.

Early on in your 25 reinstalls, I and others suggested you unplug the serial
leads and try again. Once you were able to do that, you got a more usual
install where that option is skipped.

> And I'm catching hell because I didn't trace down my USB tree and unplug
> everything during the install.

As above: you were advised to do this - when you finally did, it worked as
expected.

> I squawk about the d-i and the reaction here was if I had gored and
> killed the last ox on the planet.

It's not d-i's fault in that sense - it's an interaction between serial
device detection and the need for a braille TTY - but that's tickles a
fairly small subset of installs at best. You happened to fall foul of it
and a simple solution that you could carry out - because you are sighted -
resolved it for you.

> I never went any where near that line in the installers menu on any of
> those installs. I have met, on a different mailing list, the person that
> was done for, and have not mentioned the frustration this has caused me
> to him. He has enough chutzpah for 10 folks, trying to run OpenSCAD by
> listening to orca in German which I assume it speaks better than the
> broken English it used for me. I can do nothing but admire him for trying...
>
> He, I'm sure, did not ask to be blinded. I, likewise, did not ask to be
> frustrated. This last install I chose not to install kde, intending to
> install tde, but it will not install on bullseye. Broken dependencies.

Take that up with the TDE folks - we can't help you, though if you were better
able to show us exactly what you mean, one of us might try.

You did write earlier that you'd managed to install GNOME as well as xfce

> That was install #31,
>
> So I chose xfce4 for #32 because it runs fine on 5 other machines here.
> And digikam, if I boot from the other drive, also with 11-3 on it, but
> running kde, works flawlessly there. But despite pulling in 261 other
> bit and pieces of kde on this drive when it was told to install digikam,
> apt did not pull in enough dependencies to make importing from a camera
> work. I had to pull the battery, then the card and plug it into a reader,
> find it in gimp, load and save the picture I wanted someplace else. So
> I got the pix I wanted.
>
> I built this machine to use, not fight with a broken installer and now
> the package manager. Is there some option I can set in synaptic to make
> it fully resolve the missing dependencies?

The installer isn't broken - without sight of the dependencies we can't
help, I think. I understand the frustration - I really do - but the
rest of us following on the list need information that isn't forthcoming
in order to be more helpful. Sometimes you might have to resort to
a command line apt/apt-get or aptitude to resolve whether or not synaptic
is at fault in the information it's showing you.

> That's today's first question as I strive to make this machine usable.
> Again.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> --