Re: digikam import fails

On 6/17/22 01:02, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 08:39:19PM +0100, Brian wrote:

[...]

Is this the first time you have tried this?

Go for another 32 times and you could get success :).

Just a suggestion, in the light of your recent experiences.
This is unnecessarily rude. If you can't cope with how some
folks ask for help here (shit happens! -- it happens to me
too), it'd be better to shut up instead of pouring snark on
others. That'd make this a better place.

Cheers
I agree 100%. This whole nightmare was started by the installer silently
installing brltty and orca, assuming I was blind just because it found a
plugged in fdti usb<->serial adapter, and by the time I had killed the
noise, the log was still being spammed about 30 lines per keystroke and
the system uptime was in hours. And the reboot was locked up by not finding
brltty, so that was about the first 25 re-installs. It was the only way
to reboot.

And I'm catching hell because I didn't trace down my USB tree and unplug
everything during the install.

I squawk about the d-i and the reaction here was if I had gored and
killed the last ox on the planet.

I never went any where near that line in the installers menu on any of
those installs. I have met, on a different mailing list, the person that
was done for, and have not mentioned the frustration this has caused me
to him. He has enough chutzpah for 10 folks, trying to run OpenSCAD by
listening to orca in German which I assume it speaks better than the
broken English it used for me. I can do nothing but admire him for trying...

He, I'm sure, did not ask to be blinded. I, likewise, did not ask to be
frustrated. This last install I chose not to install kde, intending to
install tde, but it will not install on bullseye. Broken dependencies.

That was install #31,

So I chose xfce4 for #32 because it runs fine on 5 other machines here.
And digikam, if I boot from the other drive, also with 11-3 on it, but
running kde, works flawlessly there. But despite pulling in 261 other
bit and pieces of kde on this drive when it was told to install digikam,
apt did not pull in enough dependencies to make importing from a camera
work. I had to pull the battery, then the card and plug it into a reader,
find it in gimp, load and save the picture I wanted someplace else. So
I got the pix I wanted.

I built this machine to use, not fight with a broken installer and now
the package manager. Is there some option I can set in synaptic to make
it fully resolve the missing dependencies?

That's today's first question as I strive to make this machine usable.
Again.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)