Re: Frozen mouse and keyboard

On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 06:45:45 AM Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 4:22 AM Mick Ab <recoverymail123890@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > I have a fairly new desktop PC running Debian 11. Recently there have
> > been a few occasions when the PC has failed to
> > be woken up in the morning after being left overnight. The mouse and
> > keyboard are frozen. Sometimes the monitor appears to be off and on
> > one occasion it was on.
> >
> > I leave my laptop on 24x7x365 and I do not have any issues. I do not have
>
> it setup to go to sleep or hibernate though. Have you tried putting the
> laptop to sleep then waking it, to see if you can recreate the bug?

I have an intermittent problem that might or might not be relevant.

I have two computers that I use as almost daily drivers, one running Wheezy (I
know) and one running Jessie (yes, I know).

They are connected to one set of keyboard / mouse / monitor (by a KVM, but I
am sure that the KVM is not the source of the problem I'm going to describe).

If if leave the computers for some period of time, of course the power saver
mode turns the monitor off (or to standby or whatever -- the point is it is
dark).

If the KVM is set so the Wheezy computer is using the K/V/M (keyboard / video
/ mouse, I guess), I never have any problem if the monitor has been powered off
-- if I press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse, the monitor (in
particular -- keep reading) wakes up and I'm back in business.

If the KVM is set so the Jessie computer is using the K/V/M, occasionally (and
more often if I leave it that way overnight), the monitor will not wake up
(and thus, it appears that the keyboard and mouse are not responsive -- the
system appears dead).

The way I've found to get around the problem is to actually depower and then
repower the monitor -- initially I did that by unplugging it from the wall --
since then I added a "line switch" in the power cord.  I leave the monitor
unpowered long enough so the red "pilot light" on the monitor fades to black.

After the monitor is repowered, the keyboard mouse and monitor work as normal.

I can't recall, but I don't think even swtiching the KVM to the Wheezy
computer solves the problem -- the monitor seems to get into some strange
state.

I should point out two more things:

   * The "monitor" I use is a actually a 32" (modern) TV (that is one of LED,
LCD, or whatever the various acronyms are for TV screeen technology) -- it is
1080P resolution, so adequate for my needs (2560 x 1080 pixels, iirc?? no, I
don't think thats right -- 1080 vertical, not sure of horizontal)

   * The first time I had the problem I thought the monitor (TV) was dead and
replaced it with a spare.  Some time after that (don't recall how long) the
same thing happened with the new monitor, and I sort of accidentally found out
that depowering and repowering solved the problem.  (Fortunately, I did not
discard the first monitor which I now assume is good -- haven't tried to test
it (I put it in the box for the spare monitor).

--
A picture, sketch, diagram, or chart is worth a thousand words -- divide by 10
for each minute of video (or audio) -- instead: create a transcript and edit