Re: error message for sda

On 6/6/22 20:27, David wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 at 10:03, Bob Crochelt <rfc56@fastmail.com> wrote:

   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   045   045   000    Old_age   Always       -       48690

Assuming the raw value is hours, that's about 5.5 years of power on time.

190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   045   037   045    Old_age   Always   FAILING_NOW 55 (255 255 60 26 0)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   055   063   000    Old_age   Always       -       55 (0 19 0 0 0)

Assuming the raw value is Celsius, that's somewhat warmer than ideal.
I would be looking at the airflow inside the machine and removing any dust.

I think this means its time to replace the hard drive,  any other thoughts?

That depends on your appetite for risk. I don't see anything else alarming
in the data you provided. But, that's because I am accustomed to having
several layers of backup available, so I can tolerate a high level of risk.

+1

Even when a hard drive is brand new, I make sure to have sufficient backup
copies of important data that I can recover whatever is important to me
if the drive fails.

+1

I experienced an enterprise HDD fail in under 1 month. But, it was a factory sealed, new, previous generation model that likely sat on the shelf for a few years.

I have read, and have been told by knowledgeable disk drive manufacturer engineers, that a HDD sitting on a shelf for long periods is more likely to fail than a HDD idling for the same period. To keep a drive working, keep it powered and spinning.

I am starting think that some combination of manufacturing date, Power_On_Hours, Total_LBAs_Written, and Total_LBAs_Read might predict eminent failure.

I have several personal machines and I run my hard drives to failure.
For example, the primary hard drive in this machine started failing self
test, due to read errors, at around 17000 hours. I did some recovery procedure
to remap the problem sectors, and the drive is now at 28000 hours
with no further problems.

+1

David