postfix + gmail

I am trying to configure postfix correctly to send e-mail to a gmail.com account, using my gmail credentials.

1. It all works fine if I use Thunderbird, with the following configuration:
  server name: smtp.googlemail.com
  port:        587
  Connection security: STARTTLS
  Authentication method: normal password
  username: doc.evans@gmail.com
and the password set to my gmail password.

That, in fact, is the method that I am using to post this e-mail to the reflector.

2. But when I try to duplicate that with postfix, I receive the following error:

<doc.evans@gmail.com>: host smtp.googlemail.com[142.250.138.16] said: 530-5.7.0
    Authentication Required. Learn more at 530 5.7.0
    https://support.google.com/mail/?p=WantAuthError
    e12-20020a9d490c000000b0060b6facd5e4sm4170514otf.29 - gsmtp (in reply to
    MAIL FROM command)

I have spent most of the morning following various Internet threads related to this error, and making many variations to my postfix configuration, but without success.

FWIW, here are the relevant parts of my current postfix configuration, and it generates the error message quoted above (I am running debian stable):

in main.cf:

  smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
  smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/sasl_passwd
  smtp_sasl_security_options =
  smtp_sasl_type = cyrus
  smtp_use_tls = yes
  smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

in sasl_passwd:

  [smtp.googlemail.com]:587 doc.evans@gmail.com:<password>

I did check that the password matches exactly the password in Thunderbird.

So if some postfix guru could enlighten me as to what I need to change, I'd be very grateful.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans