Re: (cmake) Could NOT find LibSoup: Found unsuitable version "" ...

On 6/3/22, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 03 Jun 2022 at 11:01:30 (+0300), Anssi Saari wrote:
>> Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > ... Could NOT find LibSoup: Found unsuitable version "",
> The problem lies between these quotes, it would appear:  ↑↑

 I don't know if you are trying to bring humor into the problematic,
but that was literally part of the error message. On the one side
cmake doesn't seem to be able to even find what the installed version
of libsoup is while on the other apt-get tells me:
libsoup2.4-dev is already the newest version (2.72.0-2).
Preparing to unpack .../libsoup-gnome2.4-dev_2.72.0-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libsoup-gnome2.4-dev:amd64 (2.72.0-2) ...
Setting up gir1.2-soup-2.4:amd64 (2.72.0-2) ...
Setting up libpsl-dev:amd64 (0.21.0-1.2) ...
Setting up libsoup2.4-dev:amd64 (2.72.0-2) ...
Setting up libsoup-gnome2.4-dev:amd64 (2.72.0-2) ...

 and yes, cmake/webkit would not even swallow that version, but there
should be a way to work around that problem.

>> Maybe start with what it is you're trying to accomplish? Why do you want
>> to compile webkit2 yourself?

 Basically, I am trying to compile WebKit2 (on WSL! ;-)) with
debugging symbols included in order to teach my students how to debug,
because after having worked them into at least pretending they had
fallen in love with the concept of Mathematical function, they have
asked me "but, what is it good for?"
 I have chosen WSL as my way to move them away from Windows
"gracefully" and also partially for “political” (school would not
install Linux), as well as economical reasons (some of my kiddos don't
even have an actual computer at home); so that makes the whole
situation even better in a "give me the tired ..." way.
 Why WebKit? Because, I want for them (high schoolers) to have "a real
taste of reality". Kids tend to see society as this big impenetrable
thing, but, again, the concept of mathematical function will serve
them as compass throughout their life. Kids nowadays also need to see
colors and things moving on a screen, preferably their cell phone's
from them to be able to "believe" it. With WebKit’s minibrowser they
could (I can tutor them to) do something on their own.
 Working with kids have made me a better person and something I have
understood is that you have to brake down whatever you are explaining
to them into pieces they can understand, relate to. A natural part of
being an adult is forgetting that. Most so-called "tutorials" out
there mean absolutely nothing to most kids.
 lbrtchx