Re: Debian license issue

On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 10:44:45PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Emanuel Berg writes:
> > OKAY SO THE "DISTRIBUTION" DON'T HAVE A "LICENSE"?
>
> The distribution is a collection of pieces of software authored by a
> wide variety of individuals, groups, and organizations.  These authors
> have published their works under terms which allow Debian or any one
> else to redistribute them.  It would not make a lot of sense for Debian
> to attempt to apply some sort of license to the collection as a whole.
> --
> John Hasler
> john@sugarbit.com
> Elmwood, WI USA

All that being said, other distributions have attmepted to put a licence
on the whole distribution, not always consistently.

Red Hat had a copyright on their artwork etc. and required derivatives
to change their branding accordingly.

Almalinux - a CentOS derivative - has a GPL2 licence over everything, Rocky
Linux, which is essentially identical, is put out under a 3 clause BSD
licence. Debian doesn't have an overall licence, as others have said,
and the trademarks are liberally licensed. [I'm not sure anyone has
used the bottle logo for a long time].

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater