Re: How should learning to program in c++ be approached, if learning objectives are sought to be customised?

On 5/30/22 15:58, Joe wrote:
> You pick the programming language (and OS, and
> hardware platform) to suit the job to be done, not the other way
> around.
Absolutely spot on!  If you want to write a device driver, you need to look at the operating system the driver will run on and see what programming language the documentation suggests.  On linux, that will be either C or in a few new cases Rust.  A driver for Windows would most likely be written in C++.  I'm not familiar with programming Mac or mobile platforms, but I know they have their preferred languages as well.  If you are writing a user-space tool or program, you probably want to look in a different direction than C++.